Thursday, September 01, 2005

All Quiet on the Sushi Front

7:50am: I am going to try UMC cafeteria sushi. After discovering where they hide the chopsticks, I've decided to go for it. The plastic encased delicacies have been taunting me for 6 weeks now, and I need to unravel their mystery. "Sushi" and "hospital cafeteria" should never be in the same sentence, unless the sentence is "Thank god the hospital cafeteria doesn't serve Sushi...yikes." Realizing the risks to my taste buds and my GI tract, i've decided to keep a journal of this undertaking. Bad choice of words...

8:36am: I've been watching Strong Bad emails to keep my morale up. I should be studying, but seeing as how my life is on the line, I'm going to make my last few hours enjoyable. H*R = the funniest thing ever

9:14am: Correspondence with my girlfriend. Writing to her almost made me abandon this foolish mission. Why put my life on the line when I've got a girl like her waiting for me back in the states? But I must. Somebody needs to do it. I don't want my children living in a world where cafeteria sushi remains an ever-present enigma - a threat to our way of life.

9:35am: The Gorillaz are playing in iTunes. It's amazing to think that a world which contains hospital cafeteria sushi can also contain such beautiful music. I recommend listening to it. Maybe knowing that I could be dead in 3 hours has given me a new view of the world...

10:00am: Leaving the library. Off to class to do group activity. Of course they know nothing about my plans. I don't want to draw attention to myself. Too many people crying, begging me not to eat the sushi. They all understand...I mean, don't understand. After that, it's on to the battlefield.

11:45am: Done with group activity. Off to eat sushi. I find myself without words. Wish me luck. If I don't make it back alive, keep my body away from the anatomy lab...

12:30pm: I'm alive! For now, at least. We'll see if that condition persists. I was asked if I wanted to eat in the med student lounge. Ha. When I ate that sushi, I wanted to be as as close to the ER as possible.

8:43pm: I'm still alive. I don't think death by sushi is in my fate. Yet...As for the sushi - not half bad. $7 for 2 sake, 2 maguro and 3 crab rolls. Expensive for a UMC cafeteria meal, but cheap for sushi. It was pretty tasty, although a little small. The wasabi damn near melted my brain, which is a good sign. The weirdest part was that the soy sauce packet was sealed tighter than...something sealed tight. Sigh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home