Thursday, February 08, 2007

I'm not Stab Man. I'm not Knifey Boy. I'm the Blue Raja.

I've always been a fan of swiss army knives. I'm not sure why, but something about lots of tools packed into a small space fascinates me. Maybe that's why I spend so much time at the law school*. Thank you folks, I'll be here all night. Remember to tip your waitress.

I got a swiss army knife on my 16th birthday and I still use it all the time. I even tried to write a story about a kid who had swiss army knife hands when I was in elementary school. It was about a group of kids who became superheroes after their hands mutated into whatever they were holding at the time when a nuclear bomb went off. The other characters had hands made of spray paint cans, BB guns and pens/pencils. It was like a combination of Johnny Tremain and the X-Men...Johnny X-Main. In retrospect this was a horrible premise and more of a curse than a superpower. But in retrospect, all my childhood dreams are a sham. This is actually a really embarassing childhood memory since it shows how goofy I am, and I shouldn't have shared it.

I also enjoy the Leatherman...

Given that little backstory, you can understand my excitement when I saw this:

Wenger** has released a 8.75 inch, 2 pound 11 ounce swiss army knife with 85 features, costing $1,200.

I need this. Sure it might be difficult to carry, seeing as how I already have an 8.75 inch/2 pounds, 11 ounce tool in my pants. But it comes with two key rings! Carabiner on one, keys on the other and you're good to go.

You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?" And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large automobile?"

Ahem...sorry. Started channeling the Talking Heads there for a second. It won't happen again.

Where was I? Oh right. You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?" With your hands, silly. Nothing worth having comes easy***. Sure it might be a little cumbersome to the point of unusable, but it's worth the effort to know that you've got every possible circumstance covered. One second you're repairing a golf divot, the next you're making a classroom presentation. Golf divot repair tool? Check. Telescoping pointer? Check. It's like taking every tool you own and strapping them all to a brick. How cool is that??

You might be curious as to what features a $1,200 swiss army knife might have. Here are some highlights:
  • Adjustable pliers with wire crimper and cutter
  • Bike chain rivet setter
  • Patented testicular torsion reversal tool
  • Cupped cigar cutter with double-honed edges
  • Medium round soup spoon
  • Fondue fork
  • Watch caseback opening tool
  • Decoupage brayer
  • Pin punch 0.8mm
  • Pin punch 1.2mm
  • Langenbeck retractor
  • Hemostat forceps
  • Raspatory
  • Reamer**
  • Shortix key
  • Shuriken
  • Flashlight
  • 5 golden rings
  • Magnetized recessed bit holder
  • Verity V91M Hard Disk Drive Degausser****
The sad thing is, I was trying to come up with ridiculous items and some of them were actually on the list. But I still want it.

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down...

* it would have been easy to make a D-Rock's mom joke, but I decided to take the high road...with a lawyer joke.
** giggle
*** I got that from Bob Kelso, Chief of Medicine at Sacred Heart.
**** When you need to orient the magnetic fields of your digital storage devices in completely random directions, rendering all information unrecoverable, think Verity. Verity Systems - quality since 1984

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i saw that you listed wire crimper as a feature and i got very excited because i thought it just read "crimper" ... as in hair crimper. now maybe if it had that feature i'd buy one.....can you upgrade this thing?

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you may ask yourself, "My god, what have I done?"

Now I have that song stuck in my head, thanks a lot Monty.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home