Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Venting

Another not-quite-so-funny post today, sorry. I've just got something stuck in my craw. Jammed right in there. So I'm going to vent.

I'm not a fan of stereotypes. Really, who is? Sure I'll use them for comedic effect sometimes, usually exagerrated to an absurd extent to reveal how ridiculous they are. And sometimes I'll make up new because it's fun. Did you know Russians subsist on a diet consisting entirely of diabetic testing strips?

Anyway, there's one kind of stereotype that I hate more than all others: stereotypes about me. Judging other books by their covers is understandable, but judging the Book of Montgomery? Unthinkable. So you can understand how upset I might get when people validate those stereotypes.

The event today which has my panties so tightly in a bunch actually played directly into two separate stereotypes. First, that doctors are arrogant*. And second, that men are misogynistic**.

Three of my "peers" were gathered in the lounge whilst I played foosball with some less sleazy gentlemen. For anonymity, I'll call the jerks Germs, Huck and Kodiak. They were discussing our Guy Smiley-esque professor, Dr. Bustamonte.

Before I go on, I should describe Bustamonte. She did her residency in pathology, which isn't easy to get into, and a fellowship in renal pathology, which is even more difficult. So she's smart, and she probably knows more about kidneys than any of us ever will. And for the sake of the story, I have to mention that she's not bad looking. Not that I ever look at women. I love you, Legal Counsel! Please don't hurt me...

So the conversation I overheard went as follows (the exact speakers and words might be inaccurate, but the general concept is accurate):

Huck: Was Bustamonte there?
Germs: Yeah, not that she contributed.
Kodiak: Nice to look at, but not much upstairs.
Germs: Just a warm place to stick your _____.
Kodiak: Pretty much.
Germs: Just a warm place to stick your _____.
Huck: Yeah.
Yes, he said it twice. He thinks he's clever, so when he doesn't get a laugh he repeats himself.

What a bunch of jerks. She knew everything about all the renal diseases she covered - they just had their heads up their collective asses. They just assume that since she's a non-ugly woman, she must be dumb. Justifying two stereotypes at the same time, quite a feat.

I might not care so much, writing them off as a group of assholes, if not for the fact that they're in my class. When they make themselves look bad, they make the rest of us look bad by association. And I sure as hell don't want to be grouped with them. I'm just glad we were tucked away where (hopefully) nobody overheard. Grumble grumble...

The worst part is, Kodiak joined in. I had Kodiak pegged as the nicest guy in the class. Now he's fallen to the level of Germs and Huck. Jibbly. I guess the "nicest guy" mantle now falls on the shoulders of Kevin Dim. Congrats!

What should I write about tomorrow? I'm thinking of Dr. Jabba the Hutt, MD; Episode I: The Phantom Pain.

And I'm disappointed in myself for not doing this yesterday. [Montgomery runs away]

[Montgomery runs back] Near!
[Montgomery runs away again] Far!
[Montgomery runs back] Near! Oh Grover, you so crazy...

* sure I'm arrogant, but at least give me a chance to prove it myself.
** when you think about it, "misogynist" isn't such a bad word. You've got "miso" which is delicious, and "gyn" which is great, then the suffix "ist." Sounds good to me!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ah Jota said...

I was there...and I was disgusted. Shame. HEY...and by the way. I thought I was up for nicest guy in class with a pink shirt. WHATS THE DEAL?!?!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Montgomery said...

The nicest guy in class would never break my heart. Sniffle...jerk...

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Germs are discusting. thats why i suggest using an antibiotic soap, antibiootic kleenex, pesticides, vaccines, antibiotics, antivirals...well you get the picture, in order to eradicate them from hospitals....and medical schools.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah jota isn't a jerk! : ( I do agree hot women can be smart (i.e. legal counsel & myself) Huck & those guys are just upset because they're not as good looking or as smart.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you think about it, manure is not really that bad a
word. I mean, it's 'newer', which is good, and a 'ma' in front of it, which is also good. Ma-newer , right?

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home