Tuesday, January 16, 2007

So delicious

ambivalent adj. having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone

fergalicious adj. 1. make them boys go crazy 2. of or relating to Fergie

I hate the hit single "Fergalicious" by Fergie, currently #2 on the Billboard charts. It's an awful, awful song. Read the trashy lyrics here.I hate the conceited, self-praising lyrics. I hate that Fergie sings about putting boys "on rock, rock" - slang for an erection, which is really trashy and pretty gross. I hate that they count down from four in alternating languages ("four, tres, two, uno"), which is illegal in Arizona after our last election. And most of all, I hate the fact that will.i.am spells tasty "T to the A to the S-T-E-Y." Somebody needs to spellcheck that shit.

But despite all those things, I love the song and I have to listen to it when it's on the radio.

To be fair, I should list the things I like. I like that the video has a Willy Wonka theme, and that it features women wrestling in iced cream. I like that she's very clear about being non-promiscuous (even if it is a filthy, STD-filled lie). I like that it borrows elements from JJ Fad, Afro-Rican, James Brown and (best of all) German electronic supergroup Kraftwerk. And most of all, I love the use of the portmanteau "Fergalicious." Mmm...portmanteaus, my favorite linguistic entity.

So it has lots of good things going for it, but it's not enough to save the song. It's so damn narcissistic. Quite undeservedly so, I might add*. Beyonce might be able to get away with it, but certainly not you.

She sings about boys wanting to eat her, for Xenu's sake. Jibbly. Two words: dental dam. She also spends time explaining that she is "up in the gym just working on [her] fitness." No amount of time on the treadmill is going to fix you, Butter Face.

Okay, that stuff came across as pretty mean. I apologize; it's probably just my secret desire to work in the catty field of celebrity gossip seeping through. I don't actually feel that strong about anything Fergie-related (aka fergalicious).

My personal feelings about Fergie aside, I do like the song. God knows why... I suppose it has a good beat, and I do appreciate the ironic lyrics. It would be like Elton John singing about loving the ladies. As a quick side note: Elton John needs much more radio time. I love that guy.

Anyway, I'm completely ambivalent about this song. I have a love/hate relationship with Fergalicious. So I'll keep listening to it, but I'll keep hating myself for doing so. And before I forget, let me tell you the best thing about writing this post. I looked up Fergalicious on Wikipedia, and this is what popped up at the beginning of the article:
"Fergalicious (adj.): Of or resembling hip-hop sensation "Fergie". For example, instead of saying "Wow her skin looks like old leather" one could say "Wow, that skin is Fergalicious". If someone is wearing trampy clothes like white short shorts that ride high with a thong sticking out of them one could say it is a "Fergalicious" outfit. Earrings that one can fit their feet through are also "Fergalicious"...and offer a nice resting place for the feet between customers....you get the point...FERGALICIOUSLY!!!" - Andrew Walker
Wow...saucer of milk, table two. The comment has since been removed, but it was up long enough for me to see and reproduce. Sounds like Andrew Walker is one of the guys who got put on "rock, rock." I think he's upset that "[he] can see [her], [he] can't squeeze [her]." Get over it, Andrew. It's not worth the hate. Don't go to the dark side for Fergie. That last sentence has multiple meanings, all equally true.


*reasons for this statement: she's used to do meth, she urinated on stage in 2005, and of course, her face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home