Monday, August 18, 2008

We can stay up late, swapping manly stories, and in the morning, I'm making waffles!

In case I didn't make it abundantly clear, last Friday was my burfday. To celebrate such a momentous event, I decided I wanted to go somewhere fancy for lunch. A rare treat typically reserved for special occasions. So I swooped up Legal Counsel from work and we headed to Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles.

In case you don't know what words mean, chicken and waffles is a dish which consists of chicken and waffles. For the sake of clarity: the waffle is a traditional breakfast waffle with syrup, while the chicken is fried. According to Wikipedia and most other sources I've found, this tradition began with Southern African-Americans, either during the days of slavery when they'd make due with what little they got or immediately after slavery when they'd make due with what little they got. You know, those guys had it pretty rough. Why don't they teach us about that in school?

Let me begin this paragraph by saying that I'm not racist, and I don't intend to say anything that can be construed as racist or offensive. Having said that, let me just state a couple facts. First, rates of heart disease and type 2 diabetes are higher in African-American communities. Second, African-Americans invented chicken and waffles. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but come on!

If you ever have a chance to go to Lo-Lo's, I highly recommend you take it. Let me break down the elements of my meal:
  1. Two fried chicken drumsticks. Absolutely dripping in grease, saturated fats and cholesterol. Translation: delicious. It the taste I imagine you'd get if you killed and cooked Jesus H Chicken. He was betrayed by Judas Chicken, tried by Pontius Poultry, and finally crucifried.
  2. One waffle with syrup. It was served with a heaping helping of butter but I'm not sure why: I'm pretty sure the waffle was just butter sculpted into waffle shape and lightly toasted. Probably the best waffle I've ever tasted. John Kerry would approve.
  3. A mason jar full of Kool-Aid. I said it was probably the best waffle I'd ever tasted, but in this case there is no doubt. This is the best Kool-Aid in the world. I felt Legal Counsel and I were devouring the Kool-Aid Man's twin babies. His delicious twin babies. It's the kind of satisfaction I imagine a starving vampire feels after finally catching its victim.
Basically, Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles is amazingly good and I'm sad it took me this long to find it.
Pros: Delicious food, low prices, friendly atmosphere.
Cons: I'm pretty sure one meal there took 16 months off my life.
I give it 4.5/5 gastric bands.

1 Comments:

Blogger medstudent101 said...

you're back!!! i have to say i ate here and it was amazing----i did go on statins for 3 months afterwards tho.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home