Thursday, October 23, 2008

First down

Whelp, I had my first residency interview today. All in all, I think it went pretty well. Not nearly as much bloodshed as I expected. Don't get me wrong, there was still a fair amount of bloodshed, but I managed to keep my dagger ("Rustin' Hoffman") sheathed for >60% of the interview. Personal best!

It's a strange experience. First off, I've never been recruited before. I've applied for things - med school, greencard, parole - but I've never had people pitching themselves to me. It's...weird. Not bad weird, just weird. Second, I'm never a big fan of selling myself. I find real bragging to be awkward. I can fake brag with the best of 'em. For example, did you know I both invented and cured polio? True story. But when confronted with a statement like, "Your board scores are really good - you must be pretty smart," the best I could muster was "your mom is!"

I also got to go to a dinner at the attending doc's house. I managed to conduct myself with dignity and class. Legal Counsel got wasted on a box of Franzia she snuck in her purse, then puked on the dog. We're like Goofus and Gallant: "Montgomery always says please and thank you. Legal Counsel stabbed another guest with a fondue fork, and is stealing your car while you read this."

It was a good time and I really like the program. Let's just hope the residency director has a good sense of humor about that whole "gypsy curse" thing...

1 Comments:

Blogger angesinclair said...

Random fact - did you know "whelp" means "dog giving birth"?

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home