Friday, September 23, 2005

CNN Scientific Consultant...OF SCIENCE!

In my SBS class we were learning about adolescents and the maturing process. To teach us about this stuff, Dr. Racy shows clips of parenting advice hosted by John Stossel (who, by the way, is a whole blog post by himself - maybe later). In one segment, they were interviewing teenagers and asking about heroes. Most of the little bastards said they didn't have heroes, a fact which was quickly blamed for their irresponsibility and degenerate behavior. And the behavior of their whole generation. It was from the mid-90s, so they were talking about my generation. Jerks.

Well you know what? I have a hero. And my hero...is this guy:

That's right. My hero is Bill Nye, the Science Guy. I love that guy! He's so cool! I remember watching his show as a kid and being enthralled by a) the science and b) his crazy/hilarious antics. I'm sure he's part of the reason I enjoyed school, went into engineering (he has a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell) and finally ended up in medical school. He's an inspiration. And once I have my M.D., I'd be proud to give that man a prostate check. Free of charge. "It's on the house, big guy."

I was reminded of his awesomeness yesterday. I saw him on CNN as a science consultant, talking with Larry King (another man worthy of his own rant). He was talking about some hurricane nonsense. I'm not really sure what that's all about.

The little graphic under him read, "Bill Nye" on top and in slightly smaller letters below, "The Science Guy." That is just one of the many reasons he's the man. He will forever be known as The Science Guy. He invented a title and got everybody to run with it, even CNN. As a man who loves nicknames, I can really cotton to this accomplishment. It's just so cool! He'll always be the one and only Science Guy.

At one point Larry King said, "As a Science Guy, does this fascinate you?" He actually used it like a real title!! It's like saying, "As Surgeon General, how do you feel about smoking?" or "As Attorney General, do you like laws?" Except with more prestige. Anybody can be Surgeon General or Attorney General or Dalai Lama or King of Spain, but there's only going to be one Science Guy. Unless he passes on the title upon retirement. And I'd like to take this time to officially throw my hat into the ring as candidate for future Science Guy. I've got a BS in Optical Sciences and Engineering and I'll have an M.D. in a few years. I also love science. The only thing I'm missing is a nicely rhyming name...

After being asked the question, Bill Nye started talking about the Coriolis Effect. I'm not sure what Australian toilets have to do with hurricanes, but he knows better than me. I'd like to strengthen my candidacy by saying that when I Googled "Coriolis Effect" for the correct spelling, I spelled it correctly right away. Take that, Senator Bill Frist. i'm not sure why I see Bill Frist as my competition for the Science Guy title, but I do...

On a related note, I'm glad this guy disappeared:

Stupid Beakman...crappy bootleg Bill Nye...doesn't even love science...

Science Rules!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home