Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hello, my name is Dr. Greenthumb

Based on my own experiences, the questions medical students get asked most often are, in order of decreasing frequency:
1. What kind of doctor do you want to be?
2. Do you think this is infected?
3. What are you doing in my house?

Today I'll be addressing the first question. I'll be addressing the third question February 22 in court. As to the second question: if you have to ask, it probably is.

As soon as you say you're in medical school, the other person will almost always ask, "what kind of medicine do you want to practice." In the past, I usually responded with sarcasm, mostly because I have no idea. My typical responses were "a good one" or "a medical doctor" (you know, as opposed to a PhD doctor). The inquisitor would then give a courtesy laugh or slap me, then look for a real answer. And for the longest time, I didn't have one.

For most of my youth, I wanted to be a pediatrician. Probably because I looked up to mine. And because he had arcade machines in his waiting room. After being told repeatedly that I wouldn't be making any money, I decided that orthopedics was the way to go. Orthopedics still interest me, but most of those docs are arrogant. Emergency medicine has also interested me, since you see all types of cases and people, with new stuff every day. And I've recently realized that "pediatricians don't make much money" should be followed by "for a doctor," so that interest came back (besides, I wouldn't really mind making less if I'm doing what I enjoy).

In medical school, my specialty goal has been changing by the week. Every time we learn something new, I get all psyched up about it. General practice during PCM classes, neurology during neuro, cardiology during the current heart lectures. And the dean has given me an unofficial introduction to proctology. My favorite part of that was the cuddling afterwards.

Recently, however, I've discovered my real calling. A specialty that puts all the others to shame. A specialty geared toward somebody with my...special talents. It's been staring me in the face for years and I didn't even realize it. "Hey Montgomery, what kind of doctor do you want to be?" "That's simple, Mr. Clinton. I want to be Dr. Drew." (I really don't know why I'm going to be to former President Bill Clinton, but we'll see)

I made the realization a while ago, but my conviction was cemented while listening to Loveline last night. As I listened, I thought about the fact that the class which interests me most is Social & Behavioral Sciences (which is also the easiest class). It isn't very convenient, since it means the bulk of my interest is in the class which requires the least studying. But I don't think I want to be a psychiatrist. I'm not sure why, but I've never been drawn to psychiatry (maybe because the phrase "takes one to know one" can be applied to crazy...although I'll admit I am crazy). But if I was on Loveline, I could use my SBS knowledge to explain the unusual behavior of callers. Score!

There are so many reasons I should take over for Dr. Drew when he's done.
1. SBS knowledge can be used without actually being a psychiatrist
2. I'd get to advise and help people with legitimate problems or questions
3. I could try to be funny when i respond sarcastically to dumb callers (my favorite hobby)
4. Rapid turnover of callers appeals to my ADD nature
5. Cool stories, Hansel
6. I've always wanted to yell at people for calling a radio station with their radio on loud
7. Celebrities!

And to top it all off. Dr. Drew started his first version of Loveline in 1983 - the year I was born! All in all, it's the perfect way for me to go. To anybody reading this with connections: I implore you to help get me into this job. With a medical degree and a sense of humor (debatable), I'd be perfect for the job. And if you're reading this, Dr. Drew, I won't let you down.

Adam!.......Corolla!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home