Thursday, June 01, 2006

Oh my god. It's Montgomery. He's gone from blow to suck.

I've been slacking on the old blog lately, I'll admit it. I want to write, I really do. But every time I set out to, I feel like I should be doing something more important. With moving and research and all, there's tons to do. Which sucks, since I really enjoy writing.

Ironically, I've been in the mood to read lately. It's actually doubly ironic. First, because I feel bad about writing but not about reading. And second, because of who I am. Being a child of the 80s, I've been bombarded by movies, music, television, music television, movie television, musical movies and the internets since birth. The irreparable damage this has done to my atention span usually prohibits me from reading anything longer than a fortune cookie. As a consequence of my information technology exposure, one of the oldest forms of information storage has been rendered useless to me. Add this to the list of other consequences: a crippling dependence on the internets, myopia to the point of being legally blind, and sterility.

Despite my desire to read, no books sound interesting to me. The DaVinci Code is popular right now, but the premise does not appeal to me at all. Controversy related to Christian mythology? Yeah, I'm the target audience. Right. The Joy of Cooking is also quite controversial, but still not my speed. And there is no good zombie fiction out there. Or non-fiction for that matter. Not since The Zombie Survival Guide was published, at least.

To remedy the situation, Legal Counsel and I wandered around a bookstore last night. Oh, and there was something about her needing a book for her Law and Huge Manatees class. I don't really remember. Anyway, we strolled around and thumbed through the books for quite some time. It combined my two favorite hobbies: randomly jumping from topic to topic and touching other people's stuff. I had fun.

Eventually we found her book - Middlesex by the Virgin Suicides guy...girl? I don't know Anyway, it's about transgendered peeps and was recommended in several of my classes. I didn't find anything of interest for myself. Until we hit the register. Like a little kid in a grocery store, I was drawn in by the fancy displays near checkout. Except instead of Snickers with Almonds it was Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk.

I've only finished chapter one and all I have to say is Damn. Now I understand why the description on the back contains the following adjectives: "stomach-churning," "disturbing," "queasy," "appalling," "disgusting," and "filthier than D-Rock's whore mother." And I think it'll only get better from here.

I'll try to write more tomorrow. Legal Counsel is leaving town for a cruise. When the cat's away, the mice will blog.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gone from blow to suck eh? That's a good first step, now you just have to be able to do both at the same time to carry on the family tradition.




Because your mother's a whore.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home