Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain

I totally just got panhandled whilst at Cox activating service at my new place. A man and a woman approached me with the following story (some details altered for anonymity):
Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd were driving from Illinois to Los Angeles. Abraham, an airline mechanic, got a new job at LAX for Northwest Airlines. On or about May 13, the couple stopped to get gas in Tucson. A young hispanic male tapped on the window asking for a ride. Abraham declined, at which point the young male pistol-whipped Mary Todd, who happens to be pregnant. Some abrasions and bruising were visible. He then proceeds to carjack the unfortunate couple, taking their wallet and purse in the process. They are left stranded without money ($600 taken), cards, ID, phones, Several days later, the car was found sans personal property but with several new broken windows. The couple is now stranded, trying to get to Los Angeles for Abraham's new job. Abraham turn 40 years old on May 24.

I tend to never believe people asking for money. Especially when their stories are this elaborate. I appreciate a man who can weave a yarn, but when begging it tends to make me suspicious. Here are my reasons for doubting:

  • Too detailed.
  • He had a stack of bills and paperwork (assumedly from the glove box) with his name and information - again, level of corroboration makes me weary.
  • He claimed to make $30/hour, but neither his car nor his clothes matched that salary.
  • He smelled a bit like alcohol. However, it also reminded me of the smell of ketoacidosis. If he was diabetic, it would make the story all that much more sad. But with his Byzantine narrative technique, why would he leave that out?
  • I saw somebody in the car that he never even mentioned.
  • What kind of person would pistol-whip the pregnant wife rather than the husband?
  • The level of damage did not seem consistent with a pistol-whip. Trust me. I know.

Oh, and at one point they both started yammering about being Christian and having "Christian morals." And asked me if I was Christian. I was really tempted to just walk away right then. I know, bad Montgomery.

Despite all my doubts, I gave them some money. Why? The pregnant lady. She looked pregnant, honestly. I don't think she was just a fat liar, either - Women are too vain to lie about being pregnant. Even if they were just begging, there's a chance that money will go for food. After they got the money, they just drove off. I was also worried because they saw me get out of my car, which I feared would be attacked were I to deny them money.

Was I wrong? Should I have given them the old "I don't carry cash" line?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so forgive me for commenting on an archived post, but i've missed a couple along the way and every so often i try to catch up.

I dont know if you should've given the money or not (you know i cant tell right from wrong)... but i decided to contribute with my saddest elaborate sob begging story:

So my friends and I are in a cab in Bombay about 5 years ago and this woman comes up to the window for money while we're stopped at a light. Her story (translated in English ofcourse): Jane had just lost her husband. he was a drunkard who spent all his money on alcohol and therefore she had no money left. but she didnt care for herself, she'd find a job or something. However, husband had died only 12 hours ago and needed to be cremated. She didnt have money for some wood to make the funeral pyre. If we could take pity on her so she could just buy some wood and bury her husband.

Mind you - she looked the part too! She was dressed in a white (widows wear white in India) sari and had red swollen puffy eyes.

yeah, i'm a sucker, i fell for it. i gave her some money. the cab driver thought we were fools.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home