Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Rodeo Drive

As I was driving to class this morning, I saw a few oddly dressed people. I know it's ironic for me to call somebody "oddly dressed," but bear with me.

Case the First
This guy was a biker. riding a Harley Chopper. I looked at him, envying his easy riding lifestyle. But his jacket was a little odd. Of course he was wearing a leather jacket - that's mandatory biker armor. It offers protection against road rash and a magnet for ladies...and some dudes. But his jacket was a little off. Rather than the "Hell's Angels"/"Screw Authority"/"I Love Kitties" jacket typical of a biker, he chose a different route.

On his arm in big letters was written the word "Tunes." (D-Rock thinks that is the wrong spelling of "Tunes")And sure enough, Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Daffy Duck and friends were prominently displayed across his back. I can only assume "Looney" was written in his other arm. Everything else matched the hardass biker/leather queen look: tight, black jeans, dew rag (which I initially spelled "doo rag" - gross), leather gloves, shades. You know, the whole look.

So now I'm torn. Is this guy a poser, trying to fit in the biker world? Is his mid-life crisis taking the form of the free-wheeling biker life. Except he only has a Looney Tunes jacket, and after blowing his money on the bike, his wife won't let him buy a new one? Or is he the ultimate biker badass, with a jacket practically screaming for a challenge? Some punk kid will mock his style, and before you can blink that kid will be stuck in a palm tree. I may never know...

Case the Second
Sorority girls. Enough said.

But seriously, I look over and see a woman driving a Kia Sorento. She was wearing these massive sunglasses. They looked like tea saucers glued to her face. If it was a dude, I would have guessed it was Tim Burton. But it was a chick. And these wacky sunglasses made her look like a 90-year old woman. These types of sunglasses are popular in two demographics: sorority girls and dangerously old women.

And the Bea Arthur trend isn't limited to UV-blocking facial accessories. Clothing nowadays has an old lady feel, too. I went shopping with Legal Counsel a while back (whip-cracking noise, I know. I had fun, though), and so many of the clothing items looked like things my grandmother used to wear, it was scary. Lots of that ugly 70s brown, pea green and pumpkin orange items all around. I like brown, green and orange, but not these hues. I thought those colors were made illegal during the Dayglo Riots of 1985. Eww...80s colors...talk about doo rags...

I'm not sure who started this fashion style. Probably Paris Hilton or Charro, they're popular these days. I thought it was just my imagination, but Legal Counsel and others have backed me up. I just don't get. And the trend doesn't transfer to dudes. Can I start tucking a white t-shirt into sweat pants then hike up said sweat pants, old man style? Didn't think so. I just don't understand greek fashion, I guess.

Case the Third
I saw an old man, totally naked, singing "Welcome to the Jungle." Wait, there's nothing wrong with that. So cool...

1 Comments:

Blogger Montgomery said...

Seriously...boho? That's either incredibly insulting or the coolest thing I've ever heard. It's a very unusual trend, and further proof that I don't understand fashion. But this trend will finally let me live out my dreams as a designer!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home