Wednesday, April 05, 2006

We've got a piper down! I repeat, the piper is down!

Last night I went to Lawlawpalooza with Legal Counsel and the Scooby Crew (that would be a good band name) at O'Malley's. Lawlawpalooza is the law school's version of Lollapalooza. Lollapalooza is an American music festival created by Perry Ferrell of Jane's Addiction. Jane's Addiction is an American rock band named after Jane Bainter, a heroin addict who lived with the band. Heroin addiction was the subject of the movie Trainspotting with Ewan McGregor. Ewan McGregor was in A Life Less Ordinary with Maury Chaykin. Maury Chaykin was in Where the Truth Lies with Kevin Bacon!

The show was pretty fun. A bunch of law students and one professor performing music to raise funds for Law Journal. The best band was Black Flagg, a two man guitar duo (a la Tenacious D) covering random songs. The best two covers were Hey Ya by Outkast and Warren G by Regulators. Awesome. Andy, you probably don't read this (or even know me), but you rock. I need to get my hands on your concert shirts and CDs.

Then there were a bunch of boring, mediocre bands. Blah. The band with the professor was pretty good, though. He looked like a hippy, so I assumed he taught Human Rights or Civil Rights or Tax Law or some hippy class like that. He teaches contracts. I think he got contracted to rock.

But for me, the highlight of the show was a bagpiper. That's right, an honest to god vampire...I mean bagpiper. This is a good time to tell you all that I love the bagpipes. I mean I really love the bagpipes. Not as much as I love, say, Legal Counsel or my family or apples, but it's pretty high up.

I don't love them just because they're the most annoying musical instrument to most people. To me, the most annoying thing is a drum solo. Shudder. Anyway, I just really like the sound of bagpipes. In all of music-dom, the bagpipes are my king. And I also imagine that going into battle with bagpipes playing would be the ultimate intimidator and morale booster, especially since one bagpiper sounds like 30 people are playing. On top of the psychological factor, the bagpipers in your army would draw all the arrows, making the soldiers safer. And finally, the bagpipes just look damn cool. Yea verily!

I've always wanted to learn how to play "the pipes," as we call them in the biz. But there are several problems. First, they're damn expensive. At least £200 for a mediocre to bad set. I think. I'm not really sure. That's a lot of money to spend on something that's going to end up as a plaid heap in my closet, like that Scottish hobo. Second, and more importantly, how do you practice the bagpipes without getting a caber tossed at you? They're so loud and obnoxious that you're going to annoy people wherever you go, like D-Rock. If people are annoyed by professional pipers, imagine the banshee's shriek which would come from a practicing amateur. Actually, now that I think about it, it probably sounds the same. Bring on the bagpipes!

If you'd like to repay me for the minutes and minutes of merriment my blog has brought you, I say buy me some bagpipes. And some lessons. And a car. And pay off my loans. That way, I'll be free to fulfill my musical dreams of being a professional bagpiper. And make it a good set. With a real tartan for the bag. Morton clan. They're just so damn cool.

RenFest Update
I totally forgot to tell you about this guy at the Renaissance Festival:

He was actually wearing a Confederate States of America shirt! What the hell? Not supporting the movie, either. He was actually supporting the now defunct CSA. Damn rednecks in Arizona. He probably went to RenFest in an effort to relive the "good ol' days" when racism and slavery hadn't even been questioned yet. I wanted Dextre Tripp to throw a chainsaw at him. Some medieval justice, with a modern flair...flaire. This guy's on my list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home