Sunday, July 16, 2006

Freudian Quip

Since I have officially been threatened, I suppose I should update.

I have been missing for about a week because I was acting as a counselor for MedCamp. MedCamp is a program (or in the Queen's English, "progrum") for high schoolers interested in a career in healthcare. Poor naive bastards; get out while you still can! They spend several days living in the dorms, touring the UMC, listening to lectures and observing doctors. You know, the kind of program you were never told about because your teachers either didn't care or downright hated you. My job was to answer questions and keep them in line. I beat one of them into a coma the first night to establish dominance.

I had planned to blog about each day's events at night while the kiddies were sleeping. Being a spoiled child of Generation Y, I assumed the dorms would have wireless access. Wrong! And I even considered buying a Cat 5 cable halfway through just for two nights of internet access. I'm an addict.

Right now I'm prepping for the last throws of MSRP, the beast that won't die. I don't have time to write a full post now, but I'm sure I'll talk more about it later. Right now I'll just give you the best highlight:

The first night we had dinner in the President's Skybox at Arizona Stadium, which was cool. There was a speech by a woman who helps undergrads apply to med school. At one point she was asked, "If there is such a shortage of doctors, why don't they admit more students?" Here is her response:
I'm sure that if the admissions people at most medical schools were given truth semen they would say they should admit more students.

Truth semen. Truth semen. She actually said that. I don't remember any of her speech after that since I was trying to stifle my giggles, and that took a great deal of effort. She must have realized she said it, but she didn't even flinch. Didn't draw any attention to it. That's the sign of a true professional. I would have burst out laughing on stage.

And that unwavering commitment to her mistake must have worked, because I didn't see any of the high schoolers laughing. And they're the perfect audience for that kind of stuff. I looked around and they were all stony-faced. Losers. I did see one girl laughing and surveying for signs of laughter in others. I later asked her if she heard it too, and she confirmed. I didn't make it up.

I'm so mature...


PS - my body actually produces truth semen, but it only works if taken orally. It's a blessing and a curse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home