Friday, July 07, 2006

How can I work this into my article?

So I've finished the initial draft of the article I'm going to try to get published on my autism research. Exciting stuff. Right now I'm waiting for the doctors I work with to tear it apart and show me how to really write a professional article.

I'm also gathering more journal references to show that I've read up on the subject. This is the why you should document your research while researching, instead of getting caught up in the articles and forgetting. C'est la vie.

Anyway, one of the autism theories is called the Extreme Male Brain (EMB) theory. I read about it before, and basically it says that autism behaviors are similar to stereotypical male behaviors (compartmentalizing tasks, lesser communication skills, not asking for directions, etc). So maybe something pushed the developing brain much farther toward masculinity - testosterone, Sports Center, who knows.

As I was writing the citation information, I noticed the name of the author: Simon Baron-Cohen. This caught my eye, as Baron-Cohen is a rather unique surname. But I recognize it as the surname of the actor who plays Ali G/Borat/Bruno in Da Ali G Show: Sacha Baron-Cohen. For those of you not familiar with Da Ali G Show (you should be, it's hilarious), he was also the voice of the head Lemur in Madagascar and he was in Madonna's video for "Music."

According to both Wikipedia and IMDB, Cambridge educated PhD psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and comedian Sacha Baron-Cohen are cousins. How cool is that? Well, it's cool to me. And I'd like to throw it into my article:
Some have theorized that the higher prevalence of ASD in males is because ASD itself arises as an "extreme male brain," suggesting that males are naturally more susceptible. The creator and biggest proponent of this theory is Ali G's cousin. Respect.
Does that flow well?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home