Monday, February 19, 2007

Montgomery Music Magic

I may not be a member of the Recording Industry Association of America (NAMBLA), but I knows what I likes and what I doesn't. Let's get this dance party a-dancin'.

Breaking Wind
Legal Counsel brought this one to my attention. Currently on the radio is a cover of "She's Like the Wind," a song written and sung by Patrick Swayze for the movie Dirty Dancing. In case you're wondering, Legal Counsel knew this because she is the president and founding member of the "Swayziacs," the largest Patrick Swayze fan club in North America. I have to say North America because PatSwa still has a pretty big following in North Korea, thanks in large part to the efforts of one mister Kim Jong-il.

Anyway, the cover version is sung by Lumidee featuring Tony Sunshine. No offense to those two, but you know it's a sad state of affairs when people find themselves longing for the dulcet tones of Patrick Swayze. But nice try, gents. On the plus side, "Tony Sunshine" sounds like the name of a lounge singer and/or pimp. Which is nice.

Nerd Words
My current favorite artist is Jonathan Coulton. If you've never heard of him just picture a nerdier, one-man version of They Might Be Giants. That's right, an even nerdier version of They Might Be Giants. And you didn't think that was possible. Tsk tsk...

I've had his song "Ikea" on my computer for a long time, then I rediscovered him after searching for "Baby Got Back" on iTunes. Don't judge me for looking for Sir Mix-A-Lot - I'm just trying to create an autobiographical mix CD. Anyway, I found Mr. Coulton and here are some of my favorite songs

Skullcrusher Mountain - A love song by an evil villain to a captured prisoner, even though he's way too smart for her. Favorite expression of love:
I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you
But I get the feeling that you don’t like it
What’s with all the screaming?
You like monkeys, you like ponies
Maybe you don’t like monsters so much
Maybe I used too many monkeys
Isn’t it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?
Re: your brains - A song from Bob to his coworker Tom. Bob has become a zombie and wants to eat Tom's brains. Favorite line: "I'm not a monster, Tom. Well, technically I am."

Chiron Beta Prime - A christmas card sung by the Andersons, who have been banished to an asteroid by the robot council. Favorite Christmas Greeting: "Merry Christmas from Chiron Beta Prime, where we’re working in a mine for our robot overlords. Did I say overlords? I meant protectors."

The Presidents - A rather informative jingle about all the American presidents. Favorite rapid presidential summary:
Arthur suspended Chinese immigration
Cleveland made the railroad people squirm
Harrison signed the Sherman Anti-Trust Act
Then Grover Cleveland served another term
So you can see why i like him. The songs are wicked fun, and one of them even tickles my zombie bone. That sounded kinda dirty...

Guilty Pleasure
Heroin.

Just kidding. It's actually "This is the Way I Live" by Baby Boy. I know that as a pigment challenged, engineering degree holding nerd I'm not normally allowed to listen to rap, hip-hop or even trip-hop. The only exceptions are probably MC Plus+, MC Squared, MC Chris, MC Hammer and Mc Donalds. But in this case I'm willing to break the rules.

I really like this song. Maybe because he isn't singing about abusing women, killing people or using drugs. Although I'll admit that I haven't listened to all the lyrics, so he very well could be. He instead prefers to sing about he "stacks [his] money, lay[s] low, and chill[s]."

Plus, he rides "fly with D-Wizzle in 'cedes Benz," which as you all know is one of my favorite hobbies. Although he says he's got a "two seater ride with the ketchup inside." I'd never allow ketchup in my vehicle. But he makes up for it by advocating Red Bull and Grey Goose. I too enjoy mixing animal themed drinks! Mmm....Wild Turkey and Moosehead...

But best of all, he advocates adults riding Big Wheels! I thought i was the only one! (Montgomery doesn't realize that when Baby Boy says "Lil' Boy still pushin' Big Wheels," he isn't actually referring to an adult riding a Big Wheel)

4 Comments:

Blogger angesinclair said...

You might get a kick out of this ode to toast by, coincidentally, Bob and Tom - not related (I don't think) to those of zombie brain -eating fame. Best lyric:
i get up in the mornin' bout six AM, have a little jelly have a little jam, take a piece of bread put it in the slot, push down the lever and the wires gets hot, i get toast.

They also play the spoons.

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/b/bobandtomlyrics/toastsonglyrics.html

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anybody else notice that the Big Wheel pictured on Wikipedia is actually locked, bike-style, to the post on the sidewalk? Some three year-old rolled up to the local smoke shop and locked his Big Wheel...you just can't be too careful these days, I guess.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All around the country, coast to coast, please say what do you like most? I don't wanna brag, I don't wanna boast... I just tell 'em, I like toast. Yeah TOAST!

Angela, you rock. I don't know who you are, but I used to sing that my freshman year in high school (yes, I'm really old).

And I even own They Might Be Giants CD. Do you remember when they did the musical Animanics episode? I was probably TOO old to be watching that show, but it was damn funny.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is off-topic (if zombies are ever off-topic) but I thought you might appreciate it.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home